Back to the Railroads of the Illinois Central System

West Feliciana Railroad

History

   The West Feliciana was the oldest part of the Illinois Central System. It ran 26 miles between Bayou Sara, Louisiana and Woodville, Mississippi. The first section was completed in 1835, and construction was finally completed in 1842. It would have been completed sooner, but the railroad encountered more than its fair share of obstacles, from determined opposition to its building to losing uninsured rails in a shipwreck. The railroad became part of the Louisville, New Orleans & Texas Railroad in 1888, and part of the Illinois Central System in 1892 when the LNO&T was consolidated with the Yazoo & Mississippi Valley Railroad.

Map

Built:  1832-1842
Admitted:  1892
Fate:  Abandoned, circa 1978
Dedicated Links:  http://www.csa-railroads.com/West%20Feliciana.htm

 http://abandonedrailroads.homestead.com/la_ic_woodvillebranch.html

Source   Most of the data came from Carlton J. Corliss' 1950 book, Main Line of Mid-America

Back to the Railroads of the Illinois Central System